WebRTC (WeB Real Time Communication) is an open-source software which allows establishing voice calls, real-time video chats and document sharing via a codec (a device or computer program for encoding or decoding a digital data stream or signal). Benefits of WebRTC are numerous, and any company can take advantage of them.
The WebRTC is a solution for privacy problems which still exist on local streams. It breaks the formerly established rules in the telecommunication industry and so it offers a simpler, faster and more economical service.
Businesses can use this tool to better their customer service and they can omit using phone numbers which charge the calling party with elevated costs. Moreover, communicating with your customers via video chats gives them a possibility to personally know your employees, which improves the image of your company.
WebRTC is user friendly – calls can be conducted and received on a computer or any portable device via an application. Moreover, a free line is always available on your mobile, even when you are out of office or when having troubles with your computer. In the case of no Internet connection, there is a possibility of transferring the calls to a mobile line. At the moment there are only a few companies offering WebRTC services, and therefore, just a few companies can take advantage of the benefits of WebRTC.
Benefits of WebRTC and its features
This service offers the following features:
- Adaptability: It works without special devices and operating systems. It is compatible with any browser and network
- Make phone calls, video chats and share documents
- High quality sound and image
- It is free: you are only paying for the attributed landline, the incoming calls are cost-free.
- Computer or smartphone: A computer with access to the platform via any browser or a smartphone with an app.
- Internet connection: A Wifi or Internet connection are needed; however, you can forward all incoming calls to a mobile phone number in case of no Internet access.
- Headphones and a microphone: an essential element to conduct calls. You can use any ordinary headphones with a microphone, no special features are required.
- Program and Software installation: Contrary to other VoIP systems, no installation is necessary. All you need to do is accessing the platform via Internet.
- Purchasing equipment and telephone devices: There is no need to buy special softphones, IP phones, or routers.
- Changes in the company: The company can keep its number.
The main browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Opera provide WebRTC via computers, Android and iOS. The augmenting WebRTC usage is striking even more that companies like Apple or Microsoft still have not incorporated WebRTC support on their browsers. Obviously, it will not take much time until they do so.
Communication between the users
To date, WebRTC only allows communication between two users. A research is being conducted in order to connect multiple users via multipoint control unit.
This is one of the most discussed topics between the WebRTC users. Yet, the problems occurring while using other methods like VoIP apps or software downloading were the reason to create WebRTC. Thanks to this web protocol there is no need to install any plugins on your computer anymore.
The WebRTC is built of characteristics assuring real-time, private and secure communication. DTLS (Datagram Transport Layer Security) is one of the encrypting methods securing a real-time data transfer, which consists of encoding the existing connections between different applications shared with UPD (User Datagram Protocol). A third party access is therefore impossible without a previous authorisation.
Despite the fact that we spend the majority of our days communicating via mobile phone, we only rarely realise that we are connected to WebRTC.
For example, 1.23 billion users connect to Facebook every day and about a billion users connect to Whatsapp on daily basis. Possibly, the majority of Whatsapp and Facebook Messenger users do not realise that the calls made on these apps are also conducted through WebRTC. More apps using this protocol are for example Appear.in or TokBox.
How businesses can make use of the benefits of WebRTC
The technology sector is rapidly growing in the telecommunications industry. Obviously, it is impossible to ignore the changes happening in today’s competitive society.
All the companies, which employees are not required to be present in the office, can benefit from the WebRTC advancement. These companies can obtain WebRTC lines so that their employees can receive and conduct their calls directly from their browsers. This is a smart and economical solution of telecommunications since there is no need to invest into equipment renewal. The whole process is run through browsers and applications on mobile phones. Among the benefits of WebRTC can be found useful features to all companies independently of the services they provide.
Cloud PBX systems also work with WebRTC. Calls received on your virtual switchboard can be transferred towards WebRTC lines rather than to landline or mobile phone numbers. Combining your cloud PBX with WebRTC technology means an increased advantage for your company and this way you can also enjoy the following features:
- Messages: Greetings; letting your clients know that you are busy or that they are calling out of office hours
- Voice Menu: Organise your incoming calls by departments. The caller can choose which department they would like to contact.
- Call Recording: A useful tool which allows you to listen to a call even after 10 days
- Opening/Working Hours: Helps adjusting the calls to your working hours or holidays
- Call Transfer: You can transfer calls to other extensions without hanging up
- Call Queue: This feature is essential for companies which receive a lot of calls at the same time but are not able to answer all of them. The caller is placed into a call queue with music playing in the background which makes the waiting time more pleasant.
- Voicemails: The messages left in your voicemail are sent to your email address so that you can immediately call your client back.
- Call identification: Identify whether the call was made through direct or virtual number
- Statistics: A useful tool to control all your incoming and outgoing calls. It will help you to obtain information about the origin of the number, the call time, the duration of the conversation…
- Display your number: Call your clients and let them see your main number
- Illimited forwarding: The received calls are transferred for free and without limits
- Call filtering: For example, calls coming from Spain can be answered in Spanish etc.
- Whitelists/Blacklists: Create whitelists for callers you want to provide personalised treatment and blacklists for callers you wish to avoid.
Feel free to contact us if you have more questions about the benefits of WebRTC: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0176547650.