Today, digital is part of everything that surrounds us. It is something we have become used to. Yet we’re not always aware of how we can take advantage of this digital era. Today we will talk about digital telephony and its advantages.
What is digital telephony?
Digital telephony is used by any equipment with internet connection, and it allows you to make and receive VoIP calls. This technology enables a greater transmission capacity. So, both voice and data can travel at the same time. Digital telephony is not new, it has been on the market since the end of the 90s. But it has become widespread in recent years thanks to the improvement of voice quality and the expansion of the internet.
The “Voice over Internet Protocol”, known worldwide as VoIP, is responsible for the transmission of voice traffic over Internet networks. You can use this instead of the traditional telephone networks. It allows you to have telephone conversations using the Internet network.
Digital telephony has become the most widely used form of communication by businesses. It has replaced traditional telephone systems and analogue telephone lines.
How does digital telephony work?
Since it is a cloud-based telephony, we can say that digital telephony works through the Internet. More specifically, it uses “Internet protocols” to communicate by digital means, so the user communicates thanks to the Internet connection. This facilitates the convergence of multiple systems into one. That is, employees can enjoy a digital telephony tool that unifies the company’s communications.
What are the advantages of digital telephony?
Digital telephony has many advantages. It becomes noticeable especially when compared to analogue lines.
What are analogue lines? These lines belong to the Switched Telephone Network. They are part of the traditional telephony. This telephony works with copper cables that transmit electrical signals. These signals are converted into sound waves, and then they transfer the voice into the call.
Analogical lines allow only one communication per contracted line. Besides, each line goes under a geographic number. Therefore, in order to receive several simultaneous calls, it is necessary to contract as many lines as channels are desired.
Digital telephony has a series of advantages compared to analogue lines :
- Companies can afford to connect remote offices, or even have offices in other countries. This allows a reduction in phone bills. It also means that calls within the company are free.
- Thanks to the Internet, companies can communicate from anywhere in the world. This translates into an improvement in worker mobility. If employees have an internet connection, they can meet a client virtually from abroad.
- More than one call can be transmitted over the same telephone line. This increases the telephone lines in the company without needing additional physical lines.
- You will have access to advanced functionalities such as voice mail, custom main greetings, schedules, etc. And also to the ones usually charged extra by telephone companies, such as call transfer or caller ID.
- It allows the integration of other services available on the internet network such as videoconferencing, instant messaging, etc.
- This telephony allows the use of different devices. Compared to analogue lines that only use telephones, you can use any device. Mobile phones, computers or tablets.
Therefore, digital telephony is an enormous advance in telecommunications at a business level. It provides facilities and solutions and is a significant advantage, especially as the years go by. It is a technological development increasingly adopted by companies.
Thanks to Fonvirtual’s digital telephony, you can enjoy all these advantages. And you can also carry or keep your current number if you do not want a new one.