IP services or voice over IP (VoIP) are increasingly being present at phone companies offers, but what are these services and how could they be useful for your company?
Voice over IP is a medium of communication that works with internet instead of using traditional telephone networks, more known as WebRTC networks, the upgraded IP technology. Thanks to Internet Protocol, the voice gets numbered and forms a data package for later being transmitted as any other regular information. Available in the majority of the smartphones, computers, and tablets, the IP services are increasingly being present in companies but it is evident that there are different factors that could make the enterprise take a position on changing its telephony solution towards IP services or not.
VoIp systems can make different tasks easier and provide services at low cost, however we have to take into consideration that the continuity of previous investments can’t be put at risk. Therefore we need to know when to start making this transition.
In order to minimize the restrictions that the company would have to face (managerial as well as financial), the most adequate moments to change into IP telephony would be:
- When creating the company
- When changing the facilities
- When your traditional phone service contract expires
- When renovating your IT equipments
This way, the phone system’s change would be done in better conditions
But, What are the utilities of this new solution for your company when your current systems seems perfectly correct?
The change towards VoIP entails lots of benefits at an organizational level as well as at a financial one, including:
- The reduction of your phone bill.The VoIP system only needs an internet connection (and eventually the installation of a specific program depending of the company who offers the service) for its functioning.The reduced prices of the internet subscriptions and improvements on the connections’ quality could offer real savings to the company.
- A significant gain in flexibility. In addition to the use of only one protocol for all the company’s equipment (telephones, video conferences,computers,fax…) the IP telephony can offer flexibility at different levels:
- The IP telephony is based on the association of the user to a stand instead of the association to a line. This would represent a considerable advantage to your company, in terms of mobility since your employees won’t be forced to be tied to a desk anymore: they could keep the same phone number, being outside, in another office or having breakfast at the canteen downstairs.
- Formerly, RTC telephony implied a more complex management given the separation between IT data and voice data. Thanks to the IP services, management ( like the maintenance operations of change) becomes simpler since only one network is used. Your company would gain productivity.
- With the ordinary telephone system, when adding a new line it necessary implied to contract a new service accompanied with its necessary installations.
- A long term investment
The change into VoIP telephone services is a strategic choice for the future. In fact, the end of the RTC system of the traditional telephony is near. Orange has already started the transition from traditional RTC telephony towards IP telephony in some countries for professionals and particulars.
IP services englobes the mobile phone options with the landline phone’s main advantage: stability. Only with a high speed internet connection you could have access to the universal phone system of the future, taking advantage of the flexibility and savings associated to this transition towards the VoIP.