Human beings are social by nature, and as such, they need to maintain contact with other people, either in person or through tools such as a computer or telephone. Thus, although other forms of communication existed before the invention of the telephone in 1876, this was a revolution, and since then, more sophisticated instruments and systems have been developed to facilitate mobility. In this context, there is now a wide range of possibilities that allow us to be connected with our environment anywhere in the world and at any time, something essential, especially for companies. IP telephony or virtual telephony, where voice travels over the Internet, has become the preferred option for this.
Similarly, calls are no longer the preferred contact option, but other forms of contact, especially when it comes to communication between companies and their customers. Therefore, the term “virtual telephony” no longer refers only to calls, but also encompasses other communication channels such as WhatsApp or Telegram. Porting to IP telephony can help you manage your interactions at any time to provide a high quality customer service.
In this post we want to tell you about the process of porting to virtual telephony and how you can benefit from all the advantages of being able to interact with your customers wherever you are.
Advantages of porting to virtual telephony
Porting your fixed number to IP telephony can bring various benefits to your business. In addition to promoting both the mobility of the members of the company and ubiquity (that is to say, the ease of controlling your communications anywhere through a device connected to the Internet), a virtual number can provide you with:
- National and international presence: regardless of where your business is based and how big it is, thanks to the virtual number being hosted in the cloud, you will be able to receive and make your calls or WhatsApp conversations from your head number. What the user will see is a local number, and will perceive that the business is located nearby. This way, you can project the image of a company with a national and international presence without incurring additional costs or having a physical office in every place you operate.
- Everything happens in the cloud, nothing on the devices: open source protocols such as WebRTC allow the access to the service from any browser with a username and a password. So there is no additional software to download and no installation required. In addition, you will always have the latest updates, which greatly reduces installation and maintenance costs and prevents the system from becoming obsolete. This factor is essential when choosing what company you will port to, as there are other VoIP telephony systems that require the installation of softwares known as softphones.
- Integration with other applications: by porting to virtual telephony and thanks to the functioning of the service over the Internet, it is possible to integrate with other applications used by the company, such as a CRM or instant messaging applications (WhatsApp or Telegram). In this way, your business can carry out an omnichannel communication and offer personalised attention thanks to the fact that all the information and all the company’s communication channels are on the same platform.
- Attract new customers and retain the existing ones: all of the benefits mentioned above allow you to provide effective and quality customer service. This way, users will come back to you for reasons like these. In addition, you will be able to talk with potential customers who will also be attracted by this.
How can I port to WebRTC?
Now that you know all the advantages that can offer you porting your landline to IP telephony, it is important that you know how to do it. You should bear in mind that each company may ask for additional information, but the process is generally the same.
First of all, it is important to mention that porting to virtual telephony takes a maximum of 4 days. Of course, it is not an immediate process due to the procedures involved, but once it is done, the advantages are obvious.
Before you start the process, you should also make sure that you do not have a permanent contract with your old company, as in these cases there could be penalties. Once you have done this, you simply need to contact your IP telephony provider and trust their team so that they obtain the details of the number to be ported. They will take care of the whole process and will contact you once it is completed.
And that’s it! You will now have your fixed number converted into a virtual number so that you can use it from anywhere in the world.
Frequently asked questions when porting to virtual telephony
Although virtual telephony providers will take care of the whole process, it is likely that you will have some questions about it. We would like to answer the most frequently ones:
- What numbers can I port to WebRTC? You can port any type of number, whether it is a geographic fixed number, an international number…
- Does the porting process cost anything? It is a free process, so you will only have to pay for the service and the virtual PBX functionalities or call centre software in which you will use your virtual number.
- Who do I have to ask for porting, to my old operator or the new one? The new operator will be in charge of carrying out the process, so you will only have to contact them so they can start the process and contact you if they require additional information.
- Will I be left without service until porting to WebRTC is completed? No. The number will never stop working, as it is a seamless process from being fixed to being hosted in the cloud.
- How long does portability take? As mentioned above, portability to virtual telephony can take about 4 or 5 days, although depending on the company, additional information may be requested, in these cases taking longer.
In Fonvirtual we make the porting to WebRTC process of your fixed number without any cost and from any operator so you can enjoy all the advantages that virtual telephony offers you. This way you will be able to add value to the external and internal communications of your company with the functionalities of a virtual PBX or call centre software: voice mail, options menu, voicemail…
If you would like to have more information about porting your fixed number with us, do not hesitate to contact us. Our team will inform you and accompany you throughout the process so that you can benefit from all the advantages of a virtual number.