“Unified communications solutions” is a term that is being more and more used in the business world, especially in those companies that have different national and international headquarters or teleworking employees.
The Covid-19 crisis has not only made us look for new ways to communicate with our family and friends, but also, in the business world, it has meant an unexpected change in the traditional way of working. The reason is obvious. Now it’s not as simple as pulling up a chair and moving it to a place in the office to discuss a topic with your colleagues, so it is essential to find new solutions that allow you to integrate all services and communication channels in one place.
Despite its current importance and the increasing demand for these solutions, not everyone knows what we are talking about with “unified communications”. Therefore, now we want to show you what it means and why it has become an essential element in companies.
What does “unified communications” mean?
When we talk about unified communications, we are not referring to a single product, but to a solution made up of various services and channels connected to optimize the business processes of a company. Among these services we find channels in which voice, messages, audio, video and even data are transmitted, all on the same platform. The integration of these services in the same place is what allows the user to access information quickly and work as a team.
Depending on how information is stored and transmitted, we can find two types of channels:
- “Store-and-forward: a good example of this channel is found in emails. In this case, the information is sent to a specific place (an address) and remains accessible so that either party can consult it when needed.
- Immediate” channels: as their name suggests, they require a more direct and immediate response. In these cases, the information does not remain stored almost indefinitely as in the previous case. Some examples of these channels are voice and video calls and instant messaging.
Why use unified communications services?
Unified communications solutions can be very useful especially for companies that need fast and effective communication, as they promote digital interaction and collaboration both externally and internally.
First of all, companies use this type of system to optimize their communications. By having all the information in one place, it makes work easier, both individually and as a whole, as all employees can easily access the information in real time. In the case of customer service, this is very useful, since, regardless of who is dealing with a particular case, we all know the data to provide a personalized solution.
On the other hand, the fact of not having to switch from one application to another to manage the different channels allows an increase in productivity and a reduction in waiting times, something that customers will appreciate.
Finally, unified communications services have a single provider for all your communications. What does this mean? Well, if any problem arises, you will have to contact a single company and not several to solve it.
Benefits of Unified Communications
The need to incorporate a secure communication system that guarantees an optimal quality of service at a low cost is becoming more and more evident, since interacting with other companies and with customers is fundamental in the day to day life of any business. For this reason, although we have already mentioned some of the reasons to use unified communications solutions, we can find some of them:
- Adaptability: unified communications systems are characterized by technological compatibility, as they are designed to adapt to the network of tools that exist in the company. On the other hand, due to the diversity of channels that make them up, additional accessories such as microphones and headsets are also compatible with them.
- Productivity: one of the objectives in any business organization is efficiency, as it is a way to reduce costs while increasing and streamlining production. As we said before, the fact of being able to communicate from a single tool means that we don’t have to keep several applications open or wasting time switching from one screen to another.
- Communication and collaboration: With all data in one place and changes recorded in real time, employees don’t have to move documents and wait for feedback from other departments, facilitating synergy and information flow between teams.
- Flexibility and ubiquity: imagine an employee going to a business meeting in another country and his plane is canceled due to bad weather. Or even, without going any further, currently due to Covid-19, on certain occasions, it is impossible to travel to other places. With unified communications this problem disappears, as workers can connect at any time and from anywhere, whether at the airport or at home. With a device connected to the Internet (computer, mobile or tablet), the barrier of distance is broken.
- Work-life balance: related to the previous advantage, work is no longer synonymous with the office. This reduces the feeling of “always being at work” and saves time spent commuting to and from work, which can be invested in activities with the family.
- Cost reduction: having several communication channels connected to each other provides the company with great savings and a competitive advantage in costs. Introducing these systems completely eliminates the need to install, maintain and train people to use them. In addition, there is no need to pay for several services, but the company will find a single invoice at the end of the month.
- Less impact on the environment: the last advantage, although perhaps the least obvious, is that by reducing the number of trips, the use of polluting means of transport is avoided, and the company can use this advantage to give an image of corporate social responsibility.
Unified Communications and WebRTC services
The use of unified communications solutions is favored by technologies such as WebRTC. This is an open source protocol developed by Google that allows all the communication channels mentioned above to transmit voice, video, messages and data over the Internet. Therefore, there is no longer any need for downloads or software installations on the device where we manage our communications.
WebRTC services take the benefits of unified communications to another level by offering direct, real-time communication that is more cost-effective than other applications. The adoption of this technology translates into an evolution of communications, which will be increasingly sophisticated and effective, and can be in continuous growth.
Why choose Fonvirtual’s unified communications solutions?
The first reason that makes Fonvirtual’s unified communications solutions different is the use of WebRTC technology. At this point, it is worth mentioning that most of these systems use SIP protocol to transmit information. Although it is also used in communication over the Internet, with SIP it is required to install equipment and software (known as softphone) on the devices where communications are managed. This, in addition to reducing mobility, means that we have to install a softphone for each communication channel, so it is not really a unified communication solution. In WebRTC services, everything is in the cloud, so there is no need to purchase or install anything.
In Fonvirtual, we provide you with a solution to enjoy all the features you need to get all the advantages of unified communications: our virtual PBX. With it, in addition to integrating all the channels you need (WhatsApp, LiveChat, Telegram…) to serve your customers optimally, you will have everything you need at the level of internal communication:
- Access to the status of your employees: from the PBX interface, all employees will be able to view the status of their colleagues (available, unavailable, absent…), which allows easier internal communication. Thus, if we want to transfer a call to a colleague, we can quickly see if it is possible or not, avoiding the need to put the customer on hold. In addition, in Fonvirtual we offer you the possibility of adding a supervisor profile to view and change the status of any agent.
- Messaging or internal chat: in the interface you can find an internal chat through which you can write to any employee of the company, regardless of where they are. In addition, you can create broadcast groups to interact without having to resort to a third-party messaging service.
- Voice and video calls with the rest of the staff: it is also possible to communicate with any member of the team via call or video conference, all from the same interface where you attend your customers.
Finally, Fonvirtual’s PBX allows the integration with the company’s CRM. Thus, we can have all the customer information on the same platform. Connecting these tools, we will get a number of additional features, such as automatically displaying the file with customer data each time contact occurs. All this without leaving the interaction. In addition, we will have the possibility of modifying the information in real time, with access to it by any member of the company.
If you want to know more about our unified communications solutions, do not hesitate to contact us. Our team will accompany and advise you according to your needs at all times.