Voice over IP, also known as VOIP (Voice over Internet Protocol), is a telecommunications system that works through the Internet network and that facilitates its use compared to traditional telephony.
We will now explain what voice over IP consists of. The voice IP converts the voice into data packets and transmits them through an internet network, instead of a traditional network, to other devices with an internet connection. These devices can be IP phones, traditional phones with IP DATA adapters, or softphones.
Voice over IP works through a data connection so we can take advantage of any internet connection to make or receive a phone call. With VoIP, in addition to saving costs, since it is cheaper than traditional telephony, you will also save on facilities and have better call quality.
How does voice over IP work?
Its functioning is as follows. When making a voice over IP call, the technology translates the sound that you generate through your microphone and sends it as a data packet through the internet. Once the device of the person to whom the call is made receives the data packet, it is transformed back into sound and is what is reproduced by the receiver’s speaker. In other words, two channels are created in the conversation, one destined to the audio that you are sending and the other to which the receiver sends you.
Therefore, in order to make a call using voice ip technology, it is necessary to use the SIP protocol. This is what makes it possible for us to send and receive data, whether voice or audio, over the internet between two devices that have a stable internet connection.
Apart from the protocol, it is also necessary to have an internet connection, a device in which we have the possibility of downloading a softphone to be able to use voip technology, and an audio input and output.
Advantages of Voice IP
- You can have a single physical device and be able to have several numbers associated with different national and international prefixes.
- Extensions can be easily added adapting to our needs.
- If you have an internet broadband, the quality of voice IP calls increases considerably compared to traditional calls.
- Voice over IP calls are cheaper, especially long distance or international calls.
- You have the possibility of using functionalities that can be integrated, such as call transfer, caller ID, calls waiting, etc.
- Using VoIP technology you will have a competitive advantage, and your workers will also improve their efficiency and productivity.
¿What is voip WebRTC?
WebRTC technology is the next generation of IP telephony. It is a software developed in open source by Google that gives the possibility of making voice and video communications over the internet. The question is, what is the difference with voice ip technology?
Well, as we have said, WebRTC is a revolution in voice over IP. In this case, the WebRTC is 100% hosted in the cloud. Whereas before with voip we needed a device or application installed on our device, now we only need an internet connection and access to a web browser. There we can enter the credentials that our provider has given us and we will have access to all our extensions from which we can make any call from anywhere in the world.
With this new version of voice ip telephony, you will be able to:
- Enjoy it with any device connected to the internet and anywhere in the world.
- Make and receive voice, video and chat communications
- Multiple functionalities, such as voice mailboxes, or call transcription.
- An HD service in both audio and video.
- Integration with third party software such as CRM, ERP or payment gateways.
- Integration of new external communication channels such as WhatsApp or Telegram.
As a conclusion. Voice over IP means a breakthrough in telephony. It makes our work easier and makes it possible for us to make calls through the internet, much more easily than before. In addition, with the new WebRTC voip technology, we will be able to enjoy the ubiquity that it offers us and to have a complete voice IP telephony service integrated with other management software without the need for installations.